This is a perfect summer dish! You can use most white fish for this recipe.
- 2 pounds tilapia fillets, finely diced
- 1 cup lime juice (about 8 large limes)
- 1/2 cup seeded chopped tomato
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce (recommended: Huichol), optional
- 1 serrano chile, optional
Grilled Tostadas, recipe follows, or 6 purchased tostadas
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Put the tilapia in a medium bowl. The fish is easiest to dice when it is partially frozen; this also makes for a much cleaner presentation. Use a very sharp knife. Pour the lime juice over the fish and mix gently to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until the fish is white throughout, about minimum 15 minutes but the longer you soak it the better this time I let it sit for about 2 hours.
Remove from the refrigerator and drain off the lime juice. Add the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
Serve on the grilled Tostada with sliced avocado with hot sauce on top if desired, or I just like it plain like a salad.
- 6 corn tortillas
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
Put the tortillas on the grill or grill pan, and let them dry out until they are crunchy. Purchased tostadas can be substituted.